High pressure system favors strong trade winds in the country
January 17, 2020
Diagnosis: a high pressure system has favored an increase in trade winds in the national territory. The most intense gusts are perceived today are located in Guanacaste with maximums of 100 km /...
Weather warnings history
In this section you will find the weather warnings history.
Cold Surge #12 will continue today in the country
December 25, 2019
Diagnosis: The cold push # 12 caused a strong rebound in the rains in various parts of the province of Limón during the night of Tuesday and early morning and tomorrow of this Wednesday, generating maximum accumulations of up to 150 mm at the airport station of Lemon and between 15-85 mm in various sectors of the province away from the coast. As for the wind, the maximum gusts have so far reached 87 km / h in Guanacaste and between 30-60 km / h in the Central Valley.
Forecast: During this Wednesday it is estimated that the cloudy sky pattern with intermittent rains of variable intensity persists in the province of Limón, the North Zone and the mountain ranges of the country, all this associated with the influence of said cold thrust, however, the accumulated are expected to be much lower than what has been experienced in the last hours in the mentioned sectors.
In this way, with respect to the rains, accumulated 10-20 mm are anticipated with possible maximums of 40 mm in a timely manner in the North Zone and the Caribbean during this afternoon, while at night rainfall will tend to decrease from gradually generating maximum accumulated up to 20 mm. In the rest of the regions of the country, the rains will be scarce and will be located mainly in the mountain ranges.
As for the wind it is estimated that the strongest gusts continue to occur on the mountain ranges of the country and in the lower parts of the Central Valley and Guanacaste. Thus, maximums are expected between 50-80 km/h in the mountains and between 30-60 km/h in the lower parts of the GAM and the North Pacific.
The effects of this cold push will persist until tonight.
Due to the above, the IMN recommends:
- Extreme precautions due to strong winds and their possible impact on roofs, electrical wiring, signs, trees; as well as in the mountainous parts of the country (national parks, volcanoes).
- Caution in areas vulnerable to flooding due to sewer saturation, increased flow in rivers and streams, and in areas prone to landslides.
- Caution for boats by choppy sea and very strong waves in the North Pacific, Gulf of Nicoya, Central Pacific and the Caribbean Sea, as well as air navigation due to turbulence over the mountainous sectors.
- Avoid burning of all kinds as they can get out of control.
- Stay informed through social networks, Twitter: @IMNCR, Facebook: National Meteorological Institute and the Website: www.imn.ac.cr
Eladio Solano León
Everyone at some point have directed the view to the sky and observed the clouds. You have seen them dark, white, thin, dense, others that produce thunderstorms, lightning, hail and up to imagine well known figures.See more